Count.down to moe.down XI



Last night, my friend Drew and I stopped in at a 1 AM show from one of our favorite Singer/Songwriters of the Lucky 7's Showcase , Niall Connelly. The crowd was as loving as NoHo could be for the young Irish crooner; Drew and I were like groupies. He borrowed $20 to buy the album we were missing from his discography, and gave him the whole thing. "A tip for the evening" was his justification. I agreed. After the purchase, I crept up to the stage. "You know, Niall" I said with a smirk, "the only stipulation of this overpayment is that you play 99 cent dreams"(a song inspired by a store in Jersey City, it's sad but beautiful).

He complied, pointing out that "This next one is a request. A little sad, but a request. You have to honor a request, don't you?". He also played a Bruce Springsteen cover (Can't start a fire without a spark[title?]) and chalked it up to his "Jersey Mates".

3 AM. Niall's buddies show up and take to the stage. A Harmonica/Guitar duo. The Guy playing the Harmonica poured his heart and soul into his music. He was incredible. Niall sat with us and watched. I told him he was a poet with a guitar, a modern day Bob Dylan with a prettier voice (a claim I would not make lightly). "I'm glad someone else thinks so!" he said with a smile. We laughed, we drank. Good times.

I arrived home around 5AM after an uneventful cab ride. I arrived at work an hour and a half late. Absolutely worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment